Despite the varying views people have (and often quite forcefully share) on when you should get things ready for your new arrival – not too early so as to tempt fate, not too late so as to feel stressed etc – practical issues like time, cost and energy levels mean that we have been gradually getting things sorted for a while.
The room is decorated, the cot is up, bedding ready and, courtesy of some wonderful family and friends and a few careful purchases, much of my ‘must have’ shopping list items are here.
Having said that, getting those key items is of course just one of the many things that need to be done before our little one arrives so, as I am now only a few days away from my third trimester, I’ve decided it’s time to write a list of what’s left to do. Obviously I couldn’t resist sharing, not least because I’m sure somebody will spot something crucial I’ve forgotten…
- Stock up on disposable baby items i.e. nappies, wipes, nappy sacks and so on. I think I’m making good progress (see above picture) although I suspect the stock pile won’t last long!
- Decorate the room for Ellie and the baby (they’re sharing) – done with a little help from some friends. Whoop whoop!
- Get ready for the birth – not even started but hey there is plenty of time for this right?! Includes: Read up on hypnobirthing (fascinated to know more!) / Talk to Richard about it and write birth plan / Buy a birthing ball (and blow it up) / Get hospital bag ready (do not forget arnica and toilet wipes)
- Spring clean the house – all of it. Absolutely no inclination to do this so far but I am almost sure my nesting instinct will kick in.
- Sort Christmas presents and any birthdays that are before the end of January. Making progress but lots more to do
- Think of a name for our baby boy – really starting to freak out because we just can’t think of one we are both sure about. Our current reference to Chew Bacca simply won’t do.
- Work out how the pushchair/car seat work – have absolutely no recollection of how this works and am utterly clueluess. I’m sure it will all come back to me and there’s enough time. Deadline of end November (just in case of an early arrival).
- Make bunting I decided to make ages ago for above the babies cot – insignificant progress. I doooo really want to do this….must find time!
So there you have it. Now come on…what have I missed? All advice welcome!